Before you sign a listing contract with an agent, interview at least two or three candidates and ask the following questions:
1. Can you tell me about your real estate sales experience?
2. How do you plan to market my property?
3. Do you work part-time or full-time as an agent?
4. What is the right price for this house? And how did you arrive at that figure?
5. How long will it take to sell at this price? What are the average days on market for a house like mine?
6. How will current market conditions affect my home sale?
7. How much should I expect to pay in commission?
8. What kind of communication and/or updates can I expect from you?
9. Can you provide references from three sellers you’ve worked with in the past six months?
10. What happens if my house doesn’t sell in the time we contract for?